Monday 31 October 2011

book review (generation dead trilogy)

Happy Halloween everyone out there! and here’s the only things I could share
Generation Dead,
                      the Trilogy

Love knows no boundaries... even death
                    Generation Dead 
  Prod dets
trilogy, book one
Pub: 2008, by Hyperion Books for children.
Author: Daniel Waters
Cat: Multiculturalism, zombies, fiction. 
Format: paperback; 392 pp w/ 31 chapters.
Age range: Young adults
    Summary
The dead boy reached for her,  
his pale eyes glowing in the darkness.
All over the country, teenagers who die aren’t staying dead.
Against her better judgement, Phoebe finds herself drawn to Tommy Williams. He’s gorgeous, funny, on the football team. And dead.
  But not everybody is as accepting as Phoebe. There are those who would like to rid the community of this sinister phenomenon, and they’ll stop at nothing to achieve it...
A deeply compelling, sparkling original story about discrimination, prejudice, 
and the power of love

                Kiss of Life
Welcome back, Newlydeads!

Dets
trilogy, book two
Pub: 2009, by Hyperion Books for children
Cat: crime & Mystery
Format: paperback; has 410 pages with 49 chapters.

Summary
When Phoebe’s best friend Adam takes a bullet for her, it proves everyone right – Adam is in love with her. And now that he’s come back to life, Phoebe’s more important than ever. A zombie can come back from death if they’re loved – and kissed... which means
Phoebe has to say goodbye to Tommy Williams, the other zombie in her life.

  While coaxing Adam back to reality and fending off Tommy’s advances, Phoebe tries to carry on as normal. But what’s normal when teenagers are rising from the dead and scores of others want nothing more than to send them back to their graves? And does having a zombie boyfriend make Phoebe a target too?

               Passing Strange

Dets
trilogy, book three, final
Pub: 2010, by Hyperion Books for children.
Format: paperback; has 386 pages with 40 chapters

Summary
Karen DeSonne always passed as a normal teenager – and now that she’s dead, she’s still passing – this time, as alive.
But when her dead friends are accused of high profiled murder and forced into hiding, it’s up to Karen to prove their innocence. Which means doing the unthinkable and becoming the girlfriend of bionist zealot Peter Martinsburg, who she suspects of framing them. But if Peter finds out who Karen really is, the consequences for her will be worse than death...



            my thoughts (review)
So I thought I would do all these three together because, well, it's easier this way, and they were like, one of my first books I waited for—honestly jumping up and down waiting, that's what I was like back in '08. 

so the series (sorry, trilogy, I don't like calling it something that it's not, even if technically it is) is about zombies (what? really!) yep, the only book I have on my shelf that's about it (actually I have Zombie vs. Unicorn so I lied) and being that it's Halloween I feel as if I should, you know, post a book review on them, and well, 'cause of the season (that's only got two years of a full swing in shops here, funny, like yeah it's a cool time, but clearly American) and all. 

So I picked them up, had a read and realised what I probably knew when I first got them, and decided to ignore all that, but I only really like the first one. 

yeah the second books good, but only, I thought, Phoebe’s and Adam's parts, still it was okay, and even know I can't get myself to really read the third one, though I've read enough to know what it's like and know it's like the rest.

Saying this, it's one of my favourite series, or maybe more so Generation Dead, is still one of my favourite books on my shelf. It’s kickass to the extreme and no one can say otherwise (well you can, but I ain't gonna listen).

It’s about teenagers all over America (the world?) coming back as zombies when they die. They are the can hardly move, speak kind of zombies that look the same as they died, which in a lot of cases isn’t all that bad, in some, the fun zombies it’s a little nasty. So, this one school, Oakvale High, allows them to come to school, no discrimination and all that (not that it last long) and so zombies are flocking in from all over.

There is deep meaning threw the series, about treating people right, not hating them just because they are different. But mostly what you see is the hate that comes from the unknown, even if zombies aren’t really that unknown, just unnatural.

Generation Dead has three main spoken parts (can’t remember if there’s more) Phoebe, a Goth who falls in love (maybe) with Tommy, who’s a new dead kid in the area. He shows Phoebe the live of being dead, brings her in, gets her to really understand what it’s like for them. And so she does. Meeting and become friends with a few of the local zombies.
   Adam, the jock next door who has come to his senses over the summer and opened his eyes too late, or is it. he also gets to know the zombies but more because of Phoebe than any real care about them. though saying this, Adam doesn’t really see then as anything but dead, and not dead in a way that makes him hate, just what they are. He’s a laid back character that way.
   And then there’s Pete, the ass of the books and, well, you have to have one, or come on where’s the story.

I love this book, honestly haven’t read a book like it sense, I love the world, the characters and the story line. It’s an amazing book and something you really should pick up and read.

Kiss of Life, has more people spoken threw the book, really I think nearly everyone important has a part, but it’s also what makes the book, though I only liked it for Adam, but I became a fan of his in book one even more so for the sacrifice, and in this for the struggle to be more and his want for Phoebe to have a life. I love that his family, or more so the way everything changed in his house and the result of it all from there.
   Though this one becomes a little to main stream for what I was hoping for, it is a great middle, not really as good as the first but it keeps you hooked even when you’re not sure why. You just can’t put the thing down.
   Again the anger and hate that comes from the outer players is amazing, and the reasoning behind Pete’s is more pronounced in this book. It’s also shows things that really happen, law and it’s acknowledgements when they want and when they don’t.

Passing Strange is more Karen’s book and maybe that was why I didn’t care all that much about her, she never really interested me in the prier books even though her story is interesting. It has bits threw about her past and that’s actually cool especially when you don’t really understand any of it, or more so who until the end, though you know she’s not straight (I hope ‘cause if not, sorry if I ruin it)
   This one also lets us into the mind of a few of the other zombies that have been seen here and there but we new learnt all that much from them, and that was interesting, I guess but not enough for me to truly love the book, I always felt this one went too much into the whole zombie things and I’m not that big a fan of them (surprising since I love this trilogy)

Still saying my bit, I can’t tell you I don’t like it. I would recommend these books until they've become classic. Because it’s just an amazing trilogy one that everyone should read if only once and more so your children should read it. it honestly give a great and interesting take on hatred for those you don’t understand and even though it’s place at things that are very out there it’s also something that’s can teach without us really knowing where being taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment