Wednesday 4 April 2012

REVIEW, Micah


‘Raising the dead is easy. Love is hard.’


    Prod dets
Micah and Strange Candy
Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, book 13
Pub: 2006, Headline
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Cat: paranormal fiction
Format: paperback (mid); 144 pp w/ 12 chapters
Age Range: adult                                             

            Synopsis
There are lots of reasons to raise the dead—some private, some public. In this case, the feds have a witness who died before he could speak on the record. They want him raised so his testimony can be taken. So here I am Anita Blake, necromancer, on a plane to Philadelphia, lying off to do my job. But I’m no alone: Micah, head of the St Louis wereleopards, is with me. I’m happy to have him at my side. until he mentions that this will be out first time alone together. no Master Vampire. No alpha Werewolf. Just me and Micah. And all my fears and doubts...

Strange candy: fantastical fairy tales that will leave you craving more: from the woman who marries into a family of wizards to a couple fleeting a gang of love-hungry cupids, readers will revel in these unique visions.

          Thoughts
It’s written well, as well as all the rest, but as I was reading this book I realised I wasn’t the biggest fan of Micah. Maybe it’s because he’s the rock—no, the glue, that keeps them all together without killing each other. He’s the sane one in a group of deranged people who have problems coming out of every hole.

So that’s being said, it’s hard to write a review about this book. Yeah, it was nice to read about Micah, about how he became what he was. It’ was annoying to deal with Anita and her commitment problems, like really!!! And then there was the hot but unnecessary love scene. It made even less scene than others she seemed to put in just to fill pages. But this one...made me think, why? The whole time, really, why?!

So, Anita gets asked to go do a job instead of Larry who’s having troubles with his unborn baby, she’s happy to help out and Micah is the only food that she can take, so they go.

Away, we meet a cop who was there when Micah got chewed up. and one from Anita’s past who thinks the only reason she’s high up in the cop world was because she fucked everyone she came across (this is a point threw most of the book at this point). They go to a hotel room, she learns about his past. And then they go and raise a zombie which should never have been raised. Things go bad and she’s ends up in hospital.

There you have it. The story. Sorry to tell you it all, but I feel that it’s an unnecessary read if you’re not a fan of Micah’s to begin with, you really want care much more about him in this. Unless you love for characters come only out of compassion, then, yeah, this is a great book for that.

I got the English print (which is where the covers have come from), and so my copy came with Strange Candy which are a collection of short stories she had read. And to me, it was the highlight of the book, really made me like it more, because there was something that was interesting and, well, I liked.

I really liked the short stories, I liked that most had nothing at all to do with the Anita World and that it showed us that she isn’t lying when she says her minds a little twisted in the death and pain part of life or more so storytelling.
I liked that she told you a little about the story before the thing. That you got a little look at where in her life, or more so, a little into why she wrote the book, and where.
Though, on a bad note, even though they are short stories they are heavy, at least most of them, and it’s hard to get threw them. Sometimes I felt as if I had to really push myself to finish the story, though I’m not sure if it was because I was trying to read it in one, maybe if I broke it up I wouldn’t have had such a hard time with them.

Series
Guilty Pleasures, the Laughing Corpse, Circus of the Damned, The Lunatic Cafe, Bloody Bones, The Killing Dance, Burnt Offerings, Blue Moon, Obsidian Butterfly, Narcissus in Chains, Cerulean Sins, Incubus Dreams, [tb], Danse Macabre, The Harlequin, Blood Noir, Skin Trade, Flirt, Bullet, Hit List, Kiss the Dead,
☼☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment