Tuesday 9 October 2012

REVIEW, The Hell You Say by Josh Lanyon

               Prod dets
The Hell You Say
Series: Adrien English Mysteries #3
Pub:  (2006) 2011, Just Justine
Author: Josh Lanyon
Genre: contemporary mystery
Format: ebook; 262p w/ 27 chapters
Age Range: adult

                        Synopsis
The long anticipated third novel in the Adrien English series finds the "ill-starred and bookish" mystery writer and bookseller battling demons-maybe literally.

After bookstore clerk Angus flees following terrifying death threats, Adrien must contend with a mysterious Satanic cult, a hot and handsome university professor, and his on-again/off-again relationship with closeted LAPD Homicide Detective Jake Riordan.
       
       Thoughts
Man…..really…. shit! I just.
We come back into Adrien’s life as if is threatened on the phone. Only he knows, we know, its’ a call for Angus. Throwing some money into the situation and Adrien get caught up in yet another murder case.
This one, like the one above, is filled with information, though I found that this one, unlike the one above, wasn’t as full of it, there was much more about the quest to finding out rather than just reading up about crap.
There was also much more of that same, thinking about it all while sitting at his writing club get together and then again threw football.
I would rate this one the same as I did the one before, I thought it held a lot more personal life in it. Crap with Jake, he’s an ass yes, but Adrien lets him do it, in a way, though he’s very clear on what going on, even if it hurts.
I find, though, and I think I might see it more because I already have a huge clue as to how the series ends. And so I think that lets me see things in Jake that I might not have if I read them when it was still being written.
Then there’s his mother’s side, and the family, crap, but this is an annoying part more than anything else. It puts a more human twist into the whole view of his lonely life.
Then we have the writers club, and what I find kinda amusing, that, they are….I want to tell you, but it was one of the funniest things in the whole thing, that bit of amusement that lightens up some of the darker parts.
I also realised in this book, and did a little back checking to make sure I was right, but Lanyon doesn’t describe his bodies. Not really, sometimes, when they are just a bullet in the head, yeah, but the gross ones. Nope. He freaks, like any normal person would and you get a bit of an idea as the what he just say. But the freaking and the near panic afterwards makes you forget that you didn’t see it. And that’s great. It’s also a point I think needs said. Like the sex, which he does gracefully and with just enough detail, the body scenes are the same.
Series
Fatal Shadow, A Dangerous Thing, The Hell You Say, Death of a Pirate King, The Dark Tide




No comments:

Post a Comment