Saturday 13 August 2011

book review (the last warrior)


The Last Warrior             
                                    
Prod dets: stand alone
Pub: 2011,
author: Susan Grant
Format: paperback; 300 pp w/31 chapters
Whose: Tao & Elsabeth
Age range: adult

Synopsis: As a decorated soldier, the young General Tao knows only one kind of honor - to his people. But when his own king betrays him, he discovers that his sacrifices, his successes, may not have been for the good of the country at all.
  Fate - and his enemies - throw him together with Elsabeth, a red-haired beauty who has served as the royal tutor. Her loyalties, though, remain with her father's people, the rebellious Kurel, who worship the old ways, even harbouring the forbidden arks that brought the Kurel to this planet ages ago.
  When a threat greater than their peoples' war looms, intent on destroying the world they both know, the fierce warrior and the sensitive scholar must unite. Together, they must fight for their planet, for their world and for their love

Review: so... this book... it was odd. It took me up to the last chapter to realise that it was set in the future (I think) and that they were on another planet. But it’s not I didn’t know this, I just hadn’t realised what the hell was going on, and that was mostly because of the people in it. I just don’t understand how they would be on this planet, and like yeah, there not the first or even the second generation on it, but still, there were three types of humans (or was it four – I can’t really remember). One the Tassagons – ho were warriors, I like, and didn’t like medicine they thought it all witchcraft. The Kurel’s where the witches, or more they ones that read and worked with the medicine, and the... whoever they were how didn’t particularly care about either. Still, why would they go to another world, and forget everything that got them there—mainly science?
  So I feel if I don’t change my tone this will become me bitching about things that can’t change, and I probably wouldn’t care all that much about if – let’s say, I liked reading about this stuff, but I’m much more of a... I don’t know, I just don’t get new planet type of stuff, I don’t find it interesting, so I’m going to do a pro’s and con’s list of this book for you.
  Pro – the story line, and I mean the love, it was good, she did this in a way that a lot of people do, throwing to people together that don’t like each other or more so don’t like what the other one is and making them have to work together – or more so, he had to learn to be like her or they were kicking him out.
  Con – seriously, what I went on about before.
  Pro (there are more of these, or I’m going to focus more on them) – is the two main characters as characters, though both very different they were so opposite that they should have been living each other’s lives, and Toa, was a warrior, a man that didn’t want anything but to settle down with a woman but that’s not want he got. Though do they ever
  Even the king was a good character, that man who is born jealous of everything that is pit in from of him, even when he’s got all he’s ever wanted he can’t help but hate others for the love in living a life they were given. And the other body (I guess he was) that wanting nothing but to make other suffer even when it ended up killing him.
  So really the book was good and I’d have liked it a whole lot better, I think, if it wasn’t what it was, if the world wasn’t what it was. Maybe this book as a historical would have been a little better, how knows really, it was a book that I read in one hit, so it held me, which a book needs to do or I just won’t read it, but...yeah, it was like I was ease where threw the reading, never caring all that much about the book in my hands.
  So if you’re into that other-planet kinda thing, this is a book for you, though not for fantasy, defiantly romance.

Other series by: Star (3), Otherworldly Men (3), and Tale of the Borderlands (3). there is also Once a Pirate and Contact.  

 so that's my opinion what's your?
I would love to know if your is the same as mine, links to the book, if your read it would be the way to go. or just a 'good', 'crap', 'your review sucked I loved it', would do just as well.