Tuesday 31 January 2012

Beauty Queens, a Book Challenge Review

This was read for a challenge I joined over on Heaven Hell and Purgatory
Where you read a book that’s been collecting dust since you bought it,
You know the one that you put there to read and have never been able to pick the thing up again. That’s what’s what, and here is my first, of the twelve month challenge, that isn’t a real challenge.
You should go check it all out. Good and proper, since my explanation sucks the hairy ones!

On this island survival is not a game. It’s a chance to work on your tan.

    Prod dets
Beauty Queens
Series: --
Pub: 2011, Allen & Unwin
Author: Libba Bray
Cat: fiction
Format: paperback (full size); 390 pp w/ 43 chapters
Age Range: YA

                Synopsis
Teen beauty queens. A lost island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to email.

And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives deep in the heart of every girl, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness.

The horror, the horror!

Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

Join Libba Bray in this wicked satire of beauty pageants, reality TV and pop culture.

      Alright, let’s do this...
The Whys: I bought this because, 1; the hype a little I guess, it interested me, but at the end of the day if there was something better to spend my money on I would have prob’ly gone for that one instead. 2; I just couldn’t stop myself from buying it, even with my already minimal interest. (I do suck that way, no impulse control, even while I stand there knowing this bad quality, and fighting it can still have me talking myself into something I should never have bought.


Thoughts: I really like the adds. They are cool, like, really cool, the kind of stuff that your thinking, while you’re watching the add, and yet it’s the add, right there, the real thing. Awesome.

The rest is kinda what it seems. Though interesting in that way that you know back stage action in one of these places is going to be like. All bitchy, with everyone wanting to win, to be named the prettiest, and yet, there’s that pride there that has others not really wanting to admit that they are going to lose, and when they know, it’s prob’ly gonna happen, so they have that, ‘I’m only doing it because....blar, blar, blar’. Oh, and there’s the feminist that’s very into the whole wanting to out the competition for the sexist thing it is. Like she’s the first to do that?

It’s one of those issues that can either way for anyone, and even thought I’m not into the whole fashion show/pagan thing, I really like that it’s not one sided, that there is that ‘you a idiot’ side to things, along with the real need to be named the prettiest thing in the world.

I like the ways it’s written, I like her voice in the words. And I really like the idea around the whole show, that....one way minded drive that keeps the smile on faces and a way to see the sun, even when it’s really not that great a situation to be stuck in.

It’s a good, fun book, and yet, it’s really not my cup of tea, nor coffee, or midsummer’s night read. I liked it to a point that I made myself read it because of this challenge, other than that it would have sat there until I needed the room for something better and put it in my ‘to give to someone else’ pile.

That’s all I have, and other than the fact that I just couldn’t get myself into the book, not in the way that would have me truly liking it (I’m going to go for the ‘to old thing’), there is nothing about this book that I can complain about (well, I’m sure I could, but that would just be me being picky, and who wants to read about that?) I just didn’t like it as much as someone else did.

Other work by author
Going Bovine, Gemma Doyle series (3), The Diviners (comes out near you at the end of 2012)
Appears in; Up All Night & Vacations from Hell
Also contributed to Kari, book 3 in the Sweet Sixteen series with Melinda Metz
☼☼☼
This comes off my list; click here

No comments:

Post a Comment