Thursday 19 April 2012

Book Chat: Hadn’t the Pleasure # 2


The books that have been collecting dust for so long they have become stained from it

A seductive magic mirror lies hidden deep in a demon’s lair, with a simple warning: don’t stare at the glass...


    Prod dets
Shadowglass
Series: Shadowfae Chronicles, book 2
Pub:  2010, St. Martin Griffin
Author: Erica Hayes
Genre: fairy fiction
Format: paperback (mid); 342pp w/ 30 chapters
Whose: Ice & Indigo
Age Range: adult                                             

            Synopsis
Ice is a troubled fairy trying her best to survive in the squalid underworld of the Sadowfae. When she spends a hot night with a demon lord, she discovers a powerful magic mirror in his lair—and pilfers it, knowing it’s the key to escaping her bleak life as a two-bit con artist. But Ice soon discovers that the mirror’s power comes with a price: madness, which is slowly overtaking her.

Indigo oozes darkness, danger, and tempting sensuality. He’s been sent to destroy Ice and bring the mirror back to its rightful owner; a mission that, if he fails, will cost him his life. But when he meets Ice, he faces an even greater challenge: an insatiable sexual hunger that neither of them can deny, and dark passions that threaten to claim them both forever. The trouble is, the longer he stays within the mirror’s reach, the greater its hold on his sanity—and the stronger his determination to save Ice. 

Series
Hellcursed, Shadowfae, [tb], Poison Kissed, Blood Cursed,


            The Whys
(Wrote this before reading back of book) Because I got book two and realised I was going to need book one for any of this shit to make sense. It’s the basic way of most of these books. The ones I got in the day when I randomly picked them off the shelf without even thinking they might not be the first one.
I also happened to get this one in the time when I hadn’t defined my knowledge of what I liked and what I didn’t.
Fairies aren’t something I root for, nor Angels, but since this is about fairies we’ll stick to that one.

It’s also took me, until recently (like a couple of weeks, recently) that this series is actually an adult one, and that it swang more towards the erotic side of adults than mundane.
Did this interest me more? Yes.
You see I will put up with a shit load more if it is adults, even more if it’s erotic because things get real interesting if you can stomach that high level sex, and I’m one of those lucky ones that hasn’t a problem with any form (no wait, I don’t like reading about animals doing it. I can deal a little shifting while fucking, but bestiality, even if the character is a shape shifter, no.
Shifter and shifter in animal form is okay, as long as it’s done tactfully)
My point, is that with that swinging in my mind, and in the mind of the writer I’m more than happy to read about things that would otherwise annoy me in another book, mostly because...well, there’s lots of reason for that, but I can’t actually think of them.
I don’t know, but I find the more open they are to putting high level sex in there novels the more....intense it is, and the less....
It’s also the characters in the book. You see the main reason that I don’t like fairies is the way there perceived by the writer. Yeah, it’s good and everyone’s doing it that way. But my idea of fairies is...
Well....
I don’t know, they like to play. Right?! They like to play with lived, cause mischief, mayhem, and generally fuck around with everything they can. It seems cruel but to me, fairies are cruel in ways that are all about sweet talking and back stabbing.
Out right cruel?? I just...it’s just not my picture of them, but it seems to be everyone else’s and so....I just don’t like reading book.
And I mostly will not read them if they are YA. Those are worse. At least a lot of adult’s books have the fairies as both, the good and the bad, and the good ones....all about the sweet talking.
Which is way, when it comes to adults novels I will put up with the fairy crap, because it’s generally more wishy washy and two sided when faced with the same creature.

Anyway, now you know a little more about that. Not that you asked. But still, it gives a little insight to why I say and think that, right?!
Anyway, on the note of what I found, I haven’t the thought that I need to rush out and find the book, nor will it be top priority (there are others I really want to read. Huh, maybe I can get it when I get ebook capabilities...?)

(After) I’m going to do some checking, but it seems I might actually be able to read this book before the first one. It seems, to me, that it’s individually set, though it might help the series to read them in order, or the knowledge of what’s what.....
Let me see.....
Okay, so a quick trip on Goodreads has told me that I can read it, so, there it is, on my to-be-read list. They are all individual books, all different creatures in hell with love lust and freedom on the mind.
Well, I don’t really know about the last two, but defiantly swinging that way.
Either way, it’s defiantly gotten higher up my shelf. I’m actually glad I did this know. who’d’ve known. 

one more bit of news:
she has a new series starting up, Seven Signs, book 1 is Revelation and comes out in October 2012.
☼☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment