Wednesday 11 April 2012

REVIEW, Danse Macabre


It was the middle of November, I was supposed to be out jogging, but instead I was sitting at my breakfast table talking about men, sex, werewolves and vampires. 


    Prod dets
Danse Macabre
Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, book 14
Pub: 2006, Headline
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Cat: paranormal fiction
Format: paperback (mid); 613 pp w/ 55 chapters
Age Range: adult                                             

            Synopsis
I should be concentrating on my dangerous situation—the ardeur between me and Jean-Claude, Master Vampire of the City, and Richard, my werewolf lover, is acting with a will of its own. But instead Anita Blake, preternatural expert and feared executioner, is less interested in vampire politics than in the ancient, ordinary dread that woman down the ages have experienced: am I pregnant? And, if so, is the father a vampire, a werewolf or someone else entirely?

And being a Federal Marshall, known for raising the dead and hunting vampires, is no way to bring up a baby.


            Thoughts
This is one of those books that I actually had to read again. Not fully, once I started it up I knew what book it was, and what was about to happen, but thinking about the book beforehand....nothing.

So far we have been threw a lot with Anita, and this is kinda the point in the series that has you double thinking whether or not to stay loyal or not.
At least this was my braking point. Still, I read on and on and I’m happy for it. Really, this is only the second first person stories that I have lasted through. And the only one that I’m still planning on going. Mostly I think, because of stories that have to be coming. Please Hamilton, can we do the Peter hunt, please, please, please.
This is also one of the last books where she focuses more on the sex than anything else, I think!!

Anyway, onto the rollcall of this very fine book, because there’s sorta a long one, or at least not long, but more so, interesting, but you’ll have to find that one out by reading it, I’ll just be telling you some names.
We meet Aggie (he’s friends call him), who is the Master of Chargo and an old school mod boss who has the animal lion.
With him comes Heaven (yeah there’s a few more, but Heaven the only one that matters) she calls him Cookie Monster because if I recall he’s got a tatt of him, and he’s hair is blue.
We also meet Samuel and his wife Thea who’s a mermaid, but even after reading I can’t remember where there from, a coastal city, I’m sure. They are there because there’s friends of Jean-Claude’s and because she wants Anita to have sex with her sons to see if her power can unlock there’s.

But mostly they have come because of a ballet and that’s one interesting performance with lots of shit hitting the deck mostly revolving Anita and the fact that she doesn’t eat enough, nor fuck enough, and because of her connection with Nathanial and Damian she now drains them all not just herself.

There’s the shit with the baby that’s weird because of all the men. A fight with her best friend who she’s just came back in contact with and I’m sure there were dead bodies, but I can’t remember, even after the fresh read (honestly, it wasn’t a good one), but thinking on it I’m sure they came from her work not police business.

Again, it’s not like you have to read this book, really, she’ll tell you what’s needed in the next one, if you need it. it’s one of the good and yet real annoying things about the series, but Hamilton’s explained and if she still wishes to put that much effort into the details of her series that’s her chose, I just skip those parts.

I do remember thinking back on it all that it was a good book, I really enjoyed there being other people, new people, and we got a bit of her attitude—not a lot—back, and it’s actually interesting to know where people started from, instead of a quick flash back of the important details.
This one also, if I’m not mistaken, has Aggie explaining shit to Anita that her boys wont because of who she is.
It’s got your first real look back at Jean Claude and Asher under Belle’s hand.

Heads up: three-way where two males are fucking, but then that’s not real detailed because it’s not really happening to her, it’s still there, in your face, but not felt detailed in a way that might gross some out.
And like always, if you can’t stomach this one, than it should be the end of the line, sex wise she doesn’t back step as much as her character does. And blood wise—well that’s a case by case and generally only gets bloodier.

Series
Guilty Pleasures, the Laughing Corpse, Circus of the Damned, The Lunatic Cafe, Bloody Bones, The Killing Dance, Burnt Offerings, Blue Moon, Obsidian Butterfly, Narcissus in Chains, Cerulean Sins, Incubus Dreams, Micah, [tb], The Harlequin, Blood Noir, Skin Trade, Flirt, Bullet, Hit List, Kiss the Dead,
☼☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment