Friday 13 April 2012

REVIEW, the Darkest Pleasure


He can bear any pain but the thought of losing her...

    Prod dets
The Darkest Pleasure
Series: Lords of the Underworld series, book 3
Pub: 2008, Thorndike Press USA
Author: Gena Showalter
Cat: paranormal romance
Format: paperback (sm); 374 pp w/ 27 chapters
Whose: Reyes (Keeper of Pain) & Danika
Age Range: adult

            Synopsis
Reyes is a man possessed. Bound by the demon of pain, he is forbidden to know pleasure. Yet he craves a mortal woman. Danika Ford, more than breath and will do anything to claim her – even defy the gods.
    
Danika is on the run. For months she’s eluded the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors who won’t rest until she and her family have been destroyed. But her dreams are haunted by Reyes, the warrior whose searing touch she can’t forget. Yet a future together could mean death to all they both hold dear...


            Thoughts  

First words: So it’s about Reyes trying to keep Danika alive as he battles not to taint her with his need for pain while making love. It’s actually good in that, the way they are both trapped by something they both want and don’t.
    
And about finding out who’s running the Hunters, so that was interesting, really if you are just coming into the series, don’t be me, get them from the start, this book was have been so much better if I had read it when it was meant to, and not because you can’t read them in any order, it doesn’t really matter, but you get things from the book in others, you know for them to make sense and when all that’s already in your mind it makes a lot of the book... well lacking, like the others parts in it, it makes only the love part of their story interesting, and this book has a lot more in it then just them. So yeah.

This read: I first read this book on the 28/June/11 which was sometime after reading The Darkest Secret. It was picked up because I had that bit of money, and out of this book and the first one (the Darkest Night) I was more interested in the story.
It didn’t mean in any way that I read it straight away, far from that. I read it by forcing myself to when I knew the new one was coming out and the excitement got a little too much.

The biggest problem, I think, with why I didn’t like this book that much is because, well, one, I already knew how it turned out, in more ways that knowing they were going to end up together and I had it threw Aeron’s book, since he played a huge part in that story it was mostly talked about, or more talked about because of those regrets.
I also think, because I didn’t read the first book either, that the character Reyes wasn’t as played up for me. I think that if I had read the first one, he would have been a much bigger character because it was just the beginning of his story, and the elements in it were set out in that story.
And you see, I missed them because I read book 2 and then went straight to book 4. Which wasn’t entirely my fault, since I could only get what was in the book store and this one wasn’t, or I would have gotten it. The end of the last book had that sneak peak, and I was intrigued.  

I do remember though, that I was nicely surprised and a little griped into the book at the end, but if I tell you which part than I’ll be spoiling it, if not, it’s....
Nah, but it was close to the end, the parts they don’t really dwell on in other series because it was all about him and her not the rest of the group (the family).

It also helped show a little more into some outta characters that weren’t as strongly played until later in the series, but then again, it wasn’t that much of a surprise, I’d read everything else, and this includes the novella’s that are in print.
This being said, even though, to complete the series I would need to get book 1 I know that it’s also starting to come into print in a larger size which would stuff up everything and so I probably wouldn’t bother, neither story held enough needed information that I have wanted to read it. to be honest because of my lack of interest and loving of this book I have come to a more determined end of not reading the first book, ever. Really I’d want it, as a collection type thing, but if it never happens it never happens.

So what am I saying? Well, it’s like this, I think that I would have loved this book and enjoyed it much more if I had read it without the rest of the series, and unlike what people saw about series standalones in romance, this series, to get a good effect of it, should be read from book 1 onwards, there’s too much shared information in following books (which makes it good for the standalone side of things) for you to really need to ever back read. I found only one part interesting enough to take on the effort that it took to read the book.
And yet it was good, well written and every much like all the others in the series, which is why I would recommend it. Just read them in order.

Series
The darkest fire, The darkest Night, the darkest kiss, [tb], the darkest prison, the darkest whisper, the darkest Angel, the darkest passion, the darkest lie, the darkest Secret, the darkest Surrender, the darkest Seduction,
☼☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment