Friday 27 July 2012

REVIEW, Marked by P.C & Kristin Cast


Prod dets
 Marked
Series: House of Night # 1
Pub: 2007, (atom) St. Marin’s Press USA
Author: P.C & Kristin Cast
Cat: paranormal fiction
Format: paperback (mid); 348 pp w/ 29 chapters
Age Range: YA [16+]

            Synopsis
So the bad news was that I’d have to move into the House of Night, A private boarding school, known by all my friends as the vampyre finishing school, where I would spend the next four years going through bizarre and unnameable physical changes, as well as a total and permanent life shake-up. And that’s only if the whole process didn’t kill me.

But the good news was that I wouldn’t have to take the geometry test tomorrow.
     
When sixteen-year-old Zoey is marked by the Tracker, she knows her old life is over. Now she has to leave her friends and family to join the House of Night School, where there’s only one subject Zoey needs to study: vampire 101.
     
Of course, there’s always a catch, and this one’s nice and simple: if you fail, you die...


      Thoughts
We start of the series with Zoey getting marked (which is what happens when you became a vampyer). It actually really good. The twists and turns of becoming something you never wanted to be. New friends and powers no one has ever seen in someone so young.

Hum.....this is a hard one for me to re-review. Mostly because as the series went on my care for it, for the people dwindled, though I don’t ever remember it being that high in the first place. I think I mostly read and kept on reading because they were available at the time (at least the first 3).
This time, yeah, I couldn’t not remember what’s to come and how the thing played out, and because there wasn’t that newness to the whole thing there wasn’t anything to look forward to.
So what I’m saying is that it was a bit of a drag. But then my tastes have gotten more defined since I read this series and a few of my ‘don’t read’ things are actually in this book. I’m surprised I read as much many as I did.

So this book is written in real time. Which means we get every moment of her day, minute after minute. So there are a few spots that drag a little, though not as back as it could have been. I actually didn’t mind that there was that two or three day loop of this book.

We meet the main characters of the series, all except one, I think.
I fell in love mostly with Stevie Rea and Heath even though he’s a bit of a dick—or she sees him that he was defiantly a keeper and one of the few characters that I would love. (Hint, I do, until the end I have never stopped being a Heath fan, even when....)

It’s written in her view, which isn’t something that I like, from most books, not when the main character is...I don’t know...someone I couldn’t even like. So it’s a bonus that Zoey isn’t really an annoying character. Not yet anyway. And the teachers are, well, teachers.
This one also had the ‘bitches’ and the ‘popular’ group that Zoey has to be a part of, which is odd, and probably the reason that I liked her enough to keep reading, but it wasn’t her that wanted to be there. She was a loser wanting to be popular, she just wanted to be.

And yeah, she’s powerful as and no one knows why. Or what’s going to happen.
Really, this book, is about meeting the new people, entering the world (okay, school) and getting to know what’s what of this place where set in.
Along with some power growth on her part that’s both good and bad.

I will say this though, it’s defiantly a series that you have to pay attention in. though I’m sure she sets out giving you a bit of back story with each book, but it’s not like you should jump in in book 3, you need to go from beginning to end. Which is probably the main why that I have stopped reading the series; I just couldn’t be bothered with it anymore.
But it’s something that if this is your thing, magic, power, and a storyline that carries well threw the series then this is defiantly something you should pick up.
Just be prepared, it’s long and can sometimes drag. But we’ll get to that the further along as we go.

Series
Marked, Betrayed, Chosen, Untamed, Hunted, Tempted, Burned, Awaken, Destined, Hidden,
☼☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment