Thursday 4 October 2012

REVIEW, A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon

Prod dets
A Dangerous Thing
Series: Adrien English Mysteries # 2
Pub:  2012, Just Justine (first pub 2002)
Author: Josh Lanyon
Genre: contemporary mystery
Format: ebook; 200p w/ 13 chapters
Age Range: adult

                        Synopsis
Suffering from writer's block and frustrated with his tentative relationship with hot but closeted L.A.P.D. Homicide Detective Jake Riordan, gay bookseller and mystery writer Adrien English travels to northern California where he finds a body in his front drive. By the time the sheriffs arrive, the body has disappeared, and Adrien once again finds himself playing amateur sleuth. But when the game turns deadly, Adrien turns to Jake. Jake may be confused about some things, but keeping his lover alive is not one of them--no matter what the cost.

                   Thoughts
Again we step into Adrien’s life, only to find two months had passed and his frustration at Jake and his work has him pick up and ship himself out to the country, where he owns a ranch. Where he rocks up to find a dead body lying in his driveway. Only when the sheriff rocks up—it’s gone….
And so the mystery starts.

This one has a lot more information in it. A lot of crap about a place I couldn’t care about. And yet, he made me. Honestly, if I had a teacher like him, might know more about history then the scraps that I remember.
There’s just something in the way he explains things. Or maybe it’s more the way he writes his finding. Not as info brochure monotones, but recapping, in his own words and voice and I think, for me, that’s what got me interested when normally I wouldn’t have been.
A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2)
The romance between his and Jake is odd, and strangely perfect for both characters, what they’re going through, and there personalities, it’s really like listening to him tell the story of his life.

There was a lot more going on in this book, for information, because this crime is about history. And that’s normally bores me to tears. Not in this book, which has be believing that the rest of the series is going to be a peach to get through (there more interesting sounding books).

I really found myself in this one focusing on the relationship between the two man, I’m not sure if that’s because it is a huge factor, and I think it might be, but it’s also that type of book, that’s all about minute details and fucked up minds who think they have sights on something from the past.
It was a good read, flowed, and I didn’t want to stop reading it, ever, which is odd in its own rights for me and mystery novels.

Series
Fatal Shadow, A Dangerous Thing, The Hell You Say, Death of a Pirate King, The Dark Tide
☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment