Saturday 17 December 2011

responding to a blog/vlog

hey y'all I was just watching Book Chat: series vs. stand-alone books from Misty the Book Rat, and thought I'd respond.

I was really thinking about it when she spoke, about the fact that some books just work well as a series and other tend to feel as if they are just creating it to gain money, I even thought I spoke about this because I read one like it. But I'm not 100% sure. 

I really like series when it comes to romances, the series that hold the same world, the same style, and even the same people, but each book is a different couple. I just don't seem to like, nor do I more one when a series is set in a one person mind. there are only three I have that I have done will with but mostly because they were all there when I started the series rather than me having to wait--that's when I tend to forget about it, also when I have a problem with the main characters personality, because it's never going to get better, more than not, that crap part of their personality actually gets more pronounced.

This happened with the Shifter series by Rachael Vincent--the main characters personality in that annoyed the crap out of me and since I already had a huge idea as to where the character was heading I just couldn’t even think about getting the next. the same with the House of Night series by P.C and Kristin Cast, even though I'm got the all up to book 8 I can't go on, her personality even with all the others around her, just got to a point that I was inching to toss the book after only the second chapters. But then this happens a lot with me and YA novels which is why I like them most in stand-alone or trilogy. I love a YA trilogy and they are mostly the ones that I would be more than happy to read, even 4 books but if they get to that and then they decide that they will be getting another I think it's selling out and I will refuse to buy it. but then saying this a lot of those series in YA that I read I tend to not bother with the last because I just can't, I can't like the series or characters enough. 

She asked also if there were ever any books that I thought should have stayed as 1. my answer: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater--yeah all out there have nothing but good thing to say about the trilogy but to me that one book was so beautiful and so perfect that it should have stayed as the one, I bought the second one but could never get myself to read it mostly because I didn't want anything to ruin the perfection of that first book and I also couldn't believe that the second was better than the first. 

also, while I have you here, I read A Little Lube never Hunrt Anybody from RedHotBooks, she was going on about the fact that sex scenes in books aren't realistic enough when it comes to the facts of fucking (she was classier, but facts are facts). All that she talked about as well as some of the comments was so right. I absolutely hate it when you get confused while reading a sex scene and even more so you can't connect in any way because it’s so unlikely to happen or for a fact that you know for a fact, no matter who they are, that would hurt. They spoke mostly of m/m and I haven't had the pleasure of reading many man on man books, but even I know anal hurts when there isn't any moisture and the anus just doesn't have any. It’s a fact people, and facts are what make things realistic even when there clearly not. But not putting them in is making your readers blink and then they are all in their own heads about the fact that it's just not working out. 

She also brought up the fact that, um... a certain book, I think it's like 15th of something up there where the main character is having a one girl orgy and she's doing like twelve different things at once while enjoying the pleasure--and let’s face it, if you have ever read any sex scene in Anita Blake (opps) you would know that she doesn't think while having sex, she just enjoys, and most of the time she's not even thinking so how the hell she able to maintain all that at once? It’s unreasonable for us to believe that, really. 

Oh, and my most hateful line in a sex scene is: 'I felt his hot seed spill into me, burning my uterus and just that kicked off an orgasm in me.' really? Is it that easy? Shit why'd no one tell me! There is a great sex scene in a book that I just read....um, The Vampire Dimitri by Colleen Gleason, he spills his seed before her and Gleason has him manually getting her off after it. I thought that was awesome, that he didn't just come out of it with her stated as well. It makes it more real, I think. 

   Anyway that’s all for me
 thanks for the time

No comments:

Post a Comment