Monday 21 January 2013

Cherish by Tere Michaels

                deets
Cherish
Series: Faith, Love & Devotion #4
Pub: Nov 2012 by Loose Id
Author: Tere Michaels
Genre: contemporary romance, m/m
Format: iBoook; 106p w/ 14 chapters
Whose: Matt & Evan

                        Synopsis
Several years after the end of Duty & Devotion, Matt and Evan are living quietly in their Brooklyn home with the twins, Danny and Elizabeth. The older girls - Katie and Miranda - are off at college, Evan is about to be promoted to captain and things are calm.

Briefly.
 
Evan accidently learns that Miranda has a new boyfriend and is talking marriage after just three months of dating. After peeling himself off the ceiling, he demands a conversation with his eldest daughter, which erupts into, as Matt calls it, “a steel cage match”.

Miranda indeed has a boyfriend (Kent), a business major (from Connecticut) and they are most definitely serious. In fact, Miranda wants to bring him to Thanksgiving dinner - along with his parents, Blake and Cornelia.

There is much debate but Evan agrees - mostly because Miranda's part of the bargain is that she won't get engaged or elope until the parents have met.

Thanksgiving descends into madness before the turkey is cut.

The Thoughts
So first, the fuckup. I actually thought that I had reviewed this whole series for you already, but it looks like I only did the first book, Faith & Fidelity, which was the reason I thought that I should review this book, even though it’s only little.

So this book is coming off, four years—yeah, you actually figure it out when they are asked the question after the first book. It’s about the two men and the fact that the eldest is a bitch at the moment.

It’s about the daughter trying to piss her father off and it all blowing up in her face. Literally, and figurative, as well as them all realising what the hell is really wrong with her. Yudda, yudda, blarr….you get it.

I actually really enjoyed this book, like I enjoyed the series, but it was clearly written because people were pushing for it. Really, it didn’t need to be there. Not really. And even though there was a sight pause, maybe even a want to understand Miranda, I felt that her character was so stock that I couldn’t connect with her or with Evan as he struggled not to strangle her while understand and trying to baby her a little.
I have never really been able to connect with Miranda like the other kids, it’s like she never got a real personality.

I just….it was a good read. I liked the look back at the two men, at what were they are at, and how they are doing. About the twins, and even Katie, but it just….
And I understand the storyline, it was just a bit much, why would they have had a fully meeting of the families? Why would she have let it go that far? And…well, I get the rest of it, I really do.
It was the only thing about her that actually made sense. Hell, the kid she was with had more stable personality, or a more settled one that Miranda ever had. And he was a stock character. Not really important except to have this story line.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading it, and If you’re a fan of the series than you will too. I just didn’t get why it was written in the first place.

Series
Faith & Fidelity, Love & Loyalty, Duty & Devotion
~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment