Saturday 26 January 2013

It’s Not Me—It’s You


this is from the lovely people of Red Hot Books, The Book Nymphs & Parajunkee’s view, I really like the idea, and I’m going to go ahead and do my own. (if either of you want me to take it down, tell me and I will)

Anyway, this is a great point. I love it. And I have been thinking of the same thing, since it’s another year, and the series are about to pop back up. So what’s on the chopping block?
Though I don’t actually have a lot of series that I read, I’m not a fan of first person running series, in any genre—really, you have to have a POV that I can fall in love with, or it’s gone
Saying this.....



Well, we’ll start were everyone else did

Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series
Like everyone else--who are apparently, what? Prudish, right, we don’t like sex? Right? She really doesn’t want to think it’s herself, does she? That it’s her books that are in decline, but our need for clothing? Really? She not seen the fan fiction smut that’s come out over the last couple of years?
But this isn’t about her; it’s about the books…

And I know, that’s pretty much all that I have to say. Really, just the title is all I have to say, and you all get it. Which is kinda why I put up the whole series name, ‘cause where the hell did the vampire hunting go? It’s a book that use to be about blood and gore and a chick who’s the best as she gets slammed for it.
And it was the point that you could withstand her personality and read it, love it.
But then the sex got put in, that was fine. We could deal with it up until ‘bout Narcissus in Chains, where it became the book. It’s over the top. Much more—actually it’s kinda like, Kate Douglas’ Wolf Tales, and the more you read on the more it becomes that. But her personality clashed and she was…hating sex, while loving it? Or bitching about it while getting into bed? so you have this plot of her having to have hot graphic sex, that she’s been forced into? I don’t know about you but that kinda nulls the hotness.
Then she threw in a bit of bestiality (hence the above book point—as well as the fact that if you read it, and think about it, this point is in it a lot) and the books lose everything they are. But she’s trying to keep it? Yeah, sex and blood sales, but what are you selling? The sex or the blood?
Oh yeah, and I kept up, Hit List, sucked old man balls it was that rushed over, considering the lead up, I was so let down that I had to wait a year for a book that had no real climax, not real…anything. And then I have the next book sitting on my shelf while people tell me it’s swings largely around Asher’s shit, yeah! (Cue heavy, dripping down my chin, sarcasm) and the next book, Micah? Really, talk about a bore—they don’t even have particularly interesting sex!

 
Sweetblood Series
Same old shit. I loved Embraced by Blood now that was a selling story. The next, good enough, enjoyable, interesting to forget the plainness of the plot line and romance.
But the next one…really, all you’re going to have is a book filled with two people bitching and arguing until they confess love and everything will be fine. Right? How original.
I wouldn’t have minded a story or even both their stories, but differently, separately. With what I know about both, they don’t even seem like a good match, so why’d she put them together?
Whatever I don’t care, the series isn’t interesting enough, isn’t catching enough to want me to move on.
though, is there anymore coming out?


Sookie Stackhouse series
Let’s face it we all know the reason for this one too.
For me the series was over when Quinn went away. I really loved Quinn, really, like really.
Like I understood that Sookie was getting with Eric so he had to leave, but that way?
But still, I read, the series is nearly over, and when I finish it I get to watch the show (yeah, it’s my reward) but then she went and lost the link? When she did that, because of peer presser? Real grown up of her. Like you couldn’t see the regret and heartache coming before she ever said yes. What a creep plot line? Really, to me it swinging that it will make the end have them together? What a waste of a series if that happens, if they didn’t get to be together what was the point?
I really wish I ended the book with All Together Dead like I wanted to, but no, I stupidly pushed on.

 
The chopping block

Dark-Hunter series
Hmm….I really want to know about Jaden and  for a lesser sense Thorn, but can I fall in love with them when it seems like she’s going to entwine them? Can we get the whole love like we did with Acheron? Can I be bothered with them when it’s a lot of books, a lot of new faces, but the same stories over and over?
Though my biggest thing with this one is the fact that down here in Australia they seem to think that we will spend the money (like $28) on a full sized book when these are not worth it? sorry Kenyon, but they are throwaway romance, that cannot be put into large print paperbacks without you making the print a paragraph a page to fill that type of book up.
So, it’s a can I be bothered with it book?
I do wanna read Styxx though, that will be coolish, I think, ‘cause he’s now got his own history, with Acheron’s so there’d have to be some guilt and growth, right? but….


Lords of the Underworld series
Really it took 7 books to get Paris’ story over with, and that story seems, well, like she suddenly wanted Cronus over with, on the better side then he had been playing for the last, well, 7 books. The sae lines, the same woman, but at least where’ve stayed with the boys, that’s the main part, and really Darkest Surrender did kinda rock.
But I’m at a cross road: Darkest Craving, are we going somewhere completely new? Are we getting new characters? Are we getting enemies? Are we going to have to sit through book after book where the main plot is kinda over shadowed by the side story—William?

I’m here to with Immortal After Dark series, too, but we’ll see, I really do lone that world!


The series I never started….

Demonica series
I read Desire Unchained, and though the series was kinda interesting I felt that…we’ll I wouldn’t mind about two other books, the next one, and one that hasn’t been written.
I’m undecided about the series, which is why I haven’t managed to move along.

Nightwalker series
I read Jacob, it wasn’t interesting, like yeah the series could get better, I wouldn’t mind reading the next one—hell I have the next one, but…could I get into it?

Carpathian / Dark & Ghostwalker series
I’m not that great a fan of Feehan, I love her Leopard People series but I can’t get into her writing style. And really, that Dark Prince was she not meant to know he was a vampire? Because I didn’t realise that was what was going on until she was freaking about it. But still, the idea, the world was cool.

Otherkin series
Mostly this was because of the whole Egyptian myth. I actually thought it was okay, the two characters were loveable, Roxy was a great woman character, especially when it came to a lot of woman characters in romance. But there was more to it that I didn’t like, more to the characters, t the two main groups. And I just didn’t give a shit about Sin.

The Shifter series
This was mostly—I could not deal with Faythe and her I won’t but don’t wont relationship with Marc.

Dark Swan & Georgina Kincaid series
Well, first off I just… I couldn’t seem to care about what came next in both books, hell I could hardly finish Succubus Blues. The whole idea of her wasn’t really set well. I couldn’t seem to get it. if you understand.


…or couldn’t finish.

House of Night series, Vampire Academy series, Evernight series, Wicked Lovely series,
These are all YA books, but they weren’t the reason that I couldn’t finish them. They were all for reason, each individual, and yet all similar. Mostly, the books went somewhere I didn’t care for. The characters started to annoy me. Or there was no growth when I was hoping there would be. Maybe it is because I’m old, or because I went into adult and just couldn’t deal with the younger shit of teen life. but I doubt it.

what about you? feel the same? different? a reason why I should, shouldn't read what I haven't quite started yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment