Wednesday 5 October 2011

Nothing but Sex in October

To me this whole month is all about research. I was going to make this happen in Nov, but have decided that, because I'm having a little bit of trouble finding what I need, and I can't seem to get this topic off my mind, I am going to push it forward as well as extent it for however long I need. All this info will be labelled 'research' and will be intertwined throughout the last couple of months of this year. It will also become something of a thing whenever I read a book, because...well read on and you will see.  

[read this for the first blog, and the reason why I started it, I see no point in saying this shit twice]
[oh, and this one two, but it's not all that important]

It's become painfully clear, as I look up the idea, the books that I need to make this into what I want it, that book shops are what makes it hard for YA reader to transition themselves to adult novels.

You have to basically go on blind luck that you are going to get a novel that has a level of sex that you can actually deal with and not something that is more erotic. Yeah, I'm actually disappointed in the book stores or maybe more for the mummy types out there that hadn't bitched about this yet (really you should look into this, it's actually something that could be used). I cannot find out, before I buy a book, whether or not I'm seeing just a normal romance novel, or if it's an erotic ones. And just by the name you know there's a huge difference.

And there is, the biggest is that a lot of people aren't ready for that type of book, and a lot of them, most really, that are paranormal and well known, spoken about are actually closer to erotic than they are just plan. 

The difference, if you don't know, and you are the ones that I'm writing this for, is that a planner type of sex in a book is something you probably want to read when you were going into the adult novels. They are the ones that are less...um...involved in the sex. 

Okay, this isn't really working, I'm going to show you the difference between what I think is the type of book you should read. I'm going to start with something that's very light and that works its way up--this is only from my own shelves, hopefully throughout the post I will have a lot better ideas. (Though I might show you like this, just what the sex is like in each book I recommended or don't so that you can all see if you can handle it or not, deal?) 
[spliced due to adult context, and length]
 [I'm taking this blog as more a review than anything, and there will be no spoilers]
 
My first one, it's the lightest book, and one that I would actually put in YA, but I'm more than sure it's not. This is the type of book that throughout the series could get worse, and if so that's the way you really want your transition into sex, let it be threw something that you love, and then slowly easy your way up.
       Stray by Rachel Vincent (#2)


Page 235, bottom: I gasp to feel him lift my breast, bringing as much as he could into his mouth. He pulled gently on my nipple, his tongue hot against my skin, his mouth demanding. I moaned, burying my hands in his hair, my head thrown back and my eyes close.
Further down page/236: He moved against me, then in my.
     I exhaled, letting go of more anguish than I'd known I held. I closed my eyes...

There is, all up, 6 pages, from the first kiss to the passing out at the end. It’s deep, loving, and more about a reconnection than the actual sex. About something to take a mind off. This is the simplest type of book I have, or more so I thought the sex in it was the lightest, the type you could deal with if you want to change over.even when the sex in in progress, it's about her hands, the smells, not what it feels like, inside.

I find that books that are set in the older times, 18th-early 19th century are less likely to be about the full sex, that’s not saying that they can’t be seeing as I have only read two authors who are into historical shit, it’s not my thing, really.
               
Okay, so I’m never, at all sure, if this is historical or not, but it’s set in 1881, so that’s old right.
                Bride of the Wolf by Susan Krinard (#3 but swinging towards #4) I think.

This part isn’t from the actual sex scene, it’s from...well, I guess, it sorta is, but it isn’t. Read the book and you’ll understand. I will not make these about actually sex, mostly a bit of foreplay that shows how the sex will be like.
Bottom page 245: then his lips were on her breasts, his tongue following a moment later with hungry little flicks that pulled her nipples into hard, aching peaks. She flung back her head and gave herself over to the wanton inside her, moaning and lacing her fingers through his hair as he suckled her, first one breast and then the other. He was not gentle, but she wanted nothing of gentleness after so long waiting. He kissed her again, almost savagely, and pushed her down on her back.  

There is two, sex scenes in this book. One is from the one above and the other is an actual sex scene near the end. But they are...well, I would suggest this as one of the books that are lighter, but it’s still a lot more about the sex when it’s written.

The next is from The Vampire Voss by Colleen Gleason. (#3), again this is a historical and a little safer to read than the one above.

This is the actually sex, because it’s less than the scene before it, though saying this that scene is still light enough to be considered soft.
Page 367: His eyes closed momentarily, and then opened again. Looking down at her, something blazing there that had nothing to do with the devil and everything to do with purity, he shifted and pushed...and filled her.
   Angelica’s eyes widened at the pure shock of eroticism, a feeling she could never have imagined or described...then with a sharp movement, he went deeper. The pain was lost in stillness to a hot, fast, building rhythm.

There are four sexual encounters in this book, more about the temptation than actual sex, there small encounters that shape a lot, and though sex is talked about more (or thought about) there is only one part that has a full experimental and yet it still has that chasteness that comes from the time period.

This next on is an example of having only one sex scene in a book, but it’s something a little more...
                Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver (#4)
This book has a lot more pinning, in it, than the one above, and less actual contact between them, it’s meet and wow, were as the book above is a...more...need to stay clear of that one.

This is a part in the middle of it all, but it’s the best part I think to show you what the sex is like without being about sex. (Sorry but I still want to keep this as young as I can)
Page 291, half way down: “Offer them to me, Roxy,” he ordered against her lips. “Offer me your breasts.”
   The words made her hot, wet. She cupped her palms under her breasts and lifted them, offered them.
   His head dipped. His hand slid between her legs and he pushed his fingers inside her as he closed his teeth on her nipple. She jolted, moaned, the pleasure so intense she thought she was going to unravel right then.

This book sex 8 pages of the sex scene. And it’s like that. All the way through it.

So that’s it for the moment, next post I’m hoping will be able to have a list of books that will help. I’m going to be asking and hopefully I’ll be able to start looking into these books for you. But we’ll have to see what happens. ‘Cause not everything goes as you’d like it to, does it?

Thanks for your time.