Wednesday 15 February 2012

REVIEW, the Killing Dance


These days my life is a cross between a preternatural soap opera and an action-adventure movie


    Prod dets
The Killing Dance
Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, book 6
Pub: 1997, Headline
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Cat: paranormal fiction
Format: paperback (mid); 441pp w/ 46 chapters
Age Range: adult                                             

            Synopsis
The first hit man came after me at home, which should be against the rules. Then there was a second, and third. Word on the street is that Anita Blake, expert on creatures of the night and vampire killer extraordinaire, is worth half a million dollars. Dead, not alive.

So what’s a girl to do but turn to the men in her life for help? Which in my case means an alpha werewolf and master vampire. With professional killers on your trail, it’s not a bad idea to have as much protection as possible, human or otherwise.

But I’m beginning to wonder if two monsters are better than one....

     Thoughts
Not only does Anita have to keep an eye out for an assassin that’s after her. She’s also has to deal with a werewolf, Richard, who needs her to see him as a beast, and yet he doesn’t want her to see. Doesn’t want her running, screaming. A vampire that’s gotten to a point with her and....
 
Well, that’s just it; normally these books are full, Anita getting hit from three different directions as a minimum. But this one is different. You never remember how many directions they come at her, this one...it’s all from one direction if only she could figure out where that direction came from.

But still, it’s not just from one direction and just as she thought everything was dandy she gets hit again, and again.

I really did like this one. I thought it was good, though it was a great turning point a great...I don’t know, but I liked it, like that the shit that was going on took out some of the drama from her life—and her life is a drama that only gets worse from here on out. Trust me. It’s like true soap cross high crime.

I know I’m not doing all this well, I know that my reviewing skill sucks balls, but it’s especially bad when it come to this series, a series that I have read a lot, so it’s not so from the fact that I re-read the book, this series is so in my head that it doesn’t matter anymore, I skim threw it even when truly reading it, because she goes on a lot about what they look like, until you can’t not have the picture in your head that she has in her. She also does the same thing with her back stories. Sometimes it’s like reading the last book over again. It’s worse when she thinks back from more than one problem in her past.

This is a good and a bad thing. Mostly it’s done because Hamilton had this idea that she didn’t want her series to be a series; she didn’t want you to have to read it from the start to finish. But it’s a series that’s nice to start up at the beginning, especially when it comes to the latest ones.

I find that it’s a crime book to start with, and if you are a little squeamish about sex in your work than starting this from the beginning, because this series is all about blood and sex, the high the digits get the more it turns from sex to blood but still, high death count, with bloody overly descript bloody corpses and equally descript sex scenes, though the sex doesn’t really get cranking that high until book 10.

To me, and this will be the last time I will talk about this, most likely, but I found that it’s better to get use to her writing style with the death half of shit than to dump yourself into the higher more intense side of the series.

The relationship side of things gets messy too. Like a soap, it’s like a soap her lovers and magic, really, it can get annoying if you aren’t use to it. Also, I found reading it all in one was a bit much, I found it alright because I can become obsessive with that kinda shit, but it can be intense and heavy.
Though I do hope you try it out. Just make sure it’s something you can deal with before you pick it up, and if at any time you think it’s too much stop. The series doesn’t ease up, if only it becomes more. Like each book is trying to up the last one.

Series
Guilty Pleasures, the Laughing Corpse, Circus of the Damned, The Lunatic Cafe, Bloody Bones, [tb], Burnt Offerings, Blue Moon, Obsidian Butterfly, Narcissus in Chains, Cerulean Sins, Incubus Dreams, Micah, Danse Macabre, The Harlequin, Blood Noir, Skin Trade, Flirt, Bullet, Hit List, Kiss the Dead,
☼☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment