Tuesday 27 March 2012

REVIEW, Jacob


Since time began, there have been Nightwalkers—the races of the night who live in the shadows of the moonlight. Love with humans is absolutely forbidden, and one man makes certain to uphold this ancient law: Jacob, the Enforcer...

    Prod dets
Jacob
Series: Nightwalkers, book 1
Pub:  2006, Zebra Books (Piatkus)
Author: Jacquelyn Frank
Cat: urban fantasy
Format: paperback (mid); 369pp w/ 15 chapters
Whose: Jacob & Isabella
Age Range: adult                                             

            Synopsis
Jacob has heard every excuse his people give when the madness overtakes them and they fall prey to their lust for humans, and he still brings every trespasser to justice. Immune to forbidden desires, uncontrollable hungers or the curse of the moon, his control is total...until he sees Isabella on shadowy New York City street.

Saving her life wasn’t in his plans. But the moment he holds her in his arms and feels the soft explosion of her body against his, everything changes. Their attraction is undeniable, volatile—and completely against the law. And suddenly everything Jacob has ever believed is inflamed by the heat of desire.


            Thoughts
Huh... I’m not really sure where to start. I bought this book because I read a review of the last book in this series and I thought it sounded good, but with a bit of thought I decided that I should probably start this series at the start (there are at least 3 other series I decided this root with).

It was full of information, like a text book the only saving grace was that it was actually really interesting, but it made for a heavy mindful book, one that needs the time to get deeply into it.
Even the talks of feeling both of them have with each other was like small essays.
I found that while it was all very well done, with small bouts of information and light banter and spaces for your head to have a moment time to cool down and have better focus on the information. It was done so well. I truly believe that she would write great crime novels. Really, the information, the way it was set, not too much at a time and yet, man, it was a heavy book.

My biggest complaint and one that is really just me picking and having to say something because it’s the freshest thing in my mind (I honestly just finished the book. it took three pick-up reads to finish it). The sex scenes, they were odd. And I’m saying this because she was so detailed when it came to the soft flesh finger tracing, neck nibbling, action, that light foreplay that is all about setting off the needs. And yet the actual sex, well....
It’s not that I had a problem with it, it’s more for the fact that I got over it, really fast, like the first—no second fuck session, it just went on, I’m pretty much four pages of them kissing and light (I mean, light) petting, sorry to say this, but please.....I got it to a point, I really did, but it was page after page of them both thinking the same thing, and then losing themselves a little, to start thinking that same thing again.
Suffice it to say, it was like having to be the third wheel back in high school—hell, the chick that didn’t care and spent all her time making out with her new boyfriend like you were meant to get jealous instead of the discuss and boredom you were really feeling.
That’s what I got.
 
The story line was good though, I totally got the fact that she didn’t really question or more so that she went with the flow as it was. Which was all about her thirst for knowledge, she even had a good deal of worry when it came to him, at first, when she found out what was really going on.
Jacob was the same; I understood his reasoning, and his thinking, even more so for his need to have her. Really it was all really well done considering everything that it was about.
I liked the plot line, liked that the necromancers, were predictable in their reasoning, it made them easy to dismiss because, really, how can they believe it?!

It’s one of those series that makes you want more. More of her writing (though at sometimes she stuffed up on whose paragraphs were actually spoken by whom. Mostly the one paragraph started with her thoughts and ended with his, which was confusing). More of this world, or these characters.

Series
[tb], Gideon, Elijah, Damien, Noah, Adam,
☼☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment