Monday 14 January 2013

Final Admission by Sue Brown

deets
Final Admission
Series: --
Pub: Nov 2011 by Noble Romance Publishing
Author: Sue Brown
Genre: Contemporary Romance, m/m
Format: iBook; 261p w/ 16 chapters
Whose: James & Ethan

                        Synopsis
James Trenchard is a dick. Everyone in Bingwell, Brock, and Bacon says so, and after Ethan’s first encounter with the man, he agrees. Ethan resolves to avoid James but ends up working closely with him and discovers the lawyer's hiding a secret from the world. Ethan also realizes he's falling too hard too fast. Ethan has to decide if he should help James and risk getting entangled in the mess James has gotten himself into, or move on. But walking away from love is never a simple decision to make.


The Thoughts
Okay, so first up let’s get the nitty gritty out of the way.
This book has two majors’ points in it. They are the setup, the idea and the plot line for the whole book, so I think it’s important that you understand them if you’re thinking about reading this book.
1.      It is about spousal abuse.
a.      There are two things in this one. that I’m still not sure about, though for the plot line, and character it works, but did there really have to be a because…? Couldn’t it just be abuse (my thing at the moment, sorry)
b.      This is abuse and a reason to stay only being guilt. They (James and his husband) were in an accident and Clay (the husband) was all fucked up from it, ending with him unable to control his anger—basically, the accident changed his personality (that’s what they say) though it’s a point that’s picked at a lot. Used, more like it, and that’s what I find annoying about this line. Because it’s an excuse, and because of the metal health issue’s coming off a major crash, wouldn’t you as a partner, a parent want to help your son, want him in the best place to deal. Not push it under the rug, like you can’t see it.
c.       I find this point to be something that is a little bit unnecessary, though it is. You need this point to understand the reason James has changed. But still, it’s a plot line more suited to a character that has always been that way. His family know he’s evil, and yet they don’t want to send him to jail.
d.      My opinion though. And for what it’s worth it works.
2.      And adultery. (understand why I put this last)
a.      This is a known part all the way through. And it’s hidden. And it’s not a full on erotica, so there isn’t as much sex as there could have been. But it’s not….
b.      I don’t know. Maybe it’s the fact that, I’m guessing, when you’re the cheating party, especially when your been abused, you don’t think about it when you aren’t meant to. Or maybe it’s… I don’t know. Maybe it’s the fact that no one wanted to look into the facts that they were getting physical? Though those that were close, had to see it.

This whole book’s POV is Ethan’s (and its third party, love that) so you get him meeting this cocky, flirtatious lawyer at his work. There’s instant notice, though it’s not until he’s asked to help the boss that he sees something a little deeper than everyone else has. But it’s not until a phone call at 3am that pulls him into James world and the whole fucked up problems he’s dealing with.

I won’t get into it much more than that. I feel that I’ve said too much already. But don’t get me wrong. I really enjoyed this book. I thought the characters were greatly suited, to themselves, and each other.

I won’t say how much that plot line nagged on my feminist side. But as everyone would be we are in the same mind set as Ethan. I think that even if James’ voice was in it, you’d still be there with Ethan. Getting pissed because of something that you can’t fix. Getting angry at people around him for knowing all this time and doing nothing just because he’s there son.
Though I understand, in that, I understand people of abuse, when they can’t let go of it. especially for James’. I understand that he was already uncaring about himself when he’s mind finally realised it was only a matter of time before he was dead at his husbands hands.
I fully understand that, in a book mark sort of way (really people, I’ve had a sickeningly cliché ‘perfect life’)
But because of this angry Ethan has. Because he can’t help but be in love, though he can’t watch as that person willingly let’s himself be put through that when he knows, understands that it’s wrong.
I think, though this doesn’t go as deep into the metal state of the victim, so it’s much easier to read than if it did. The reason it was so good was because you weren’t there. You didn’t fully understand. You didn’t use all your emotions, your energy working through James’ mind. That you could be there for Ethan. You could see that role for what it was. Tiring.
And because of that. Because of the fact that you could nod alongside him. Understand his role. And be there with him as he deals with the idea that he’s in love with a dead man who doesn’t want to change. That made me love this book. That’s what I really enjoyed about it. And I think it’s a point people miss when they write about tragic life problems. Because they put themselves in the role of the victim. But it’s those around them that are living it just as hard. You just can’t see that because your so wrapped up in coddling the victim you can’t understand, see, how hard it is for the ones that love them.

Anyway, that’s what I thought. I hope I actually made sense.

Others by
Nothing Ever Happens, Morning Report series, The Isle of…where?, Complete Faith, The Night Porter series, Chance to be King, Stolen Dreams, Fitzwarren Inheritance series, Waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment