Thursday 18 February 2016

52 Weeks of Acknowledging Me

This is another one of those stories that I’ve spoken about before. So feel free to skip this weeks if you’ve heard about this.

Twilight, Why I’ll Always Love It

Is started reading, like really reading, late in my life, and I say that as I’m quite young, and I didn’t start until my daughter was about to be born. I believe it was late 2007 or 2008. I was around 22. I started with Harry Potter and read a few things before hitting Twilight.

I want to say that the idea of writing came in once I started writing, the thought, the characters, the plot went in and out of my head, however I never thought it was something I’d be able to do, that I could do it.

Then I started Twilight. And …. Bang. It wasn’t great writing, it was a little “I want to be seen as smart” but the fact that I had to pick up a fucking dictionary to understand a huge chunks of what was being said, it made me think that.

I remember the moment I thought to myself “I could do this” I believe I hadn’t even gotten to chapter 2 yet, and the books gave me the push.

It was also a huge flavour of my first series. One that was never published. I re-read it a few months back and shook my head at myself because you can’t read it and not see twilight. Which is okay and also show that if I want to use the idea, the plot I’d have to start from scratch. But here’s the thing most people won’t tell you. You start your writing career by writing other people’s books. But copying your favourite authors and then you start to shift, start to stand on your own feet and become you. You get your own style or writing and you forget that you use to write like these other authors.

My first series is awesome and might get re-written on of these days, but honestly it’s not the point. That series isn’t the point. The point is that reading Twilight, in all it’s over drama and I was able to pick up and pen and paper (which is what I had to use back then) and started writing my first story. This story was torn apart and written in two different ways and I love both of them, I think they are great ideas, only until recently I’ve never quite gone back to full YA. I’m looking forward to it.

I’m proud of how far I came from starting out, that day I read Twilight, which I swear was my 3rd of 4th series I started reading. And started writing it out. Started becoming what I am today.

Not a long one this week but full of meaning in my life. I am grateful I read it in a time I was already contemplating writing and that it pushed me into it. Allowed me to see that I could do it, which is great because I can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment