Thursday 17 May 2012

REVIEW, old school #2


    Prod dets
The Secret Garden
Series: Classic Tales
Pub: 1992, Modern Publishing Group (au)
     Originally published: 1909
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Genre: fiction
Format: hardback (lar); 184pp w/ 27 chapters
Age Group: Middle grade

            Synopsis
After the death of her parents, Mary is brought back from India as a forlorn and unwanted child, to live in her uncle’s great lonely house on the moors. Then one day she discovers the key to a secret garden and, like magic, her life begins to brighten in so many ways.

            Thoughts
The Secret Garden was my favourite book of all times when I was growing up—yeah, I remember it was the book my mum read to me. since I have only recently been able to read it myself (it’s hard, I’m telling you, mostly because of the era it was written in and also the Yorkshireness, of the maid) (that too, and I’m not that great at reading).

I loved this book, I remember my mum reading it to me. I watched the movie ‘till it broke, which on VHS wasn’t as easy as disk. I loved it then, and when I found it in a box of books waiting for the time my kids could read them, I read it, and fell in love with it all over again.
Really, it’s a book you can’t explain to you how much I love this book. Really, read it, fall in love yourself, we all know you will.

It’s about a kid who ends up having to go and live in a massive house where she doesn’t want to be. it’s all about her learning.
Learning to live, to care for herself, and to be a kid she is.

I just love this book, and even though it took me a long time to be able to read the thing myself, (‘cause I’m not great with words). It’s not long and it’s worth the read, really, worth ever word that’s printed.

Others
Hearts and Diamonds, Miss Carruther’s Engagement, One Day At Arle, One Quiet Episode, Dorothea, the Woman who Saved Me, A Little Princess, The Land of the Blue Flower, the White People, The Lost Prince, The Dawn of a Tomorrow,
☼☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment